A career, job, or university transfer fair event doesn’t have to be an overwhelming experience. With a little planning you can easily navigate these events and represent yourself positively to recruiters. Use the resources below to get started.
General resources to help you get prepared
Find out what employers and schools are registered to attend. Visit their websites to learn more about what they do and what types of candidates they are seeking or what type of degrees their university offers. A list of attendees will be available on our website prior to the event.
Prepare a resume and bring several copies with you. To view sample resumes and tips, visit our website.
Interview Attire is appropriate for the event. For examples of women and men’s interview attire visit our Pinterest page
What to Bring
- Notepad, padfolio or folder to hold copies of your resume and notes
- Copies of your resume (customize resumes whenever possible)
- Portfolio (optional) – can hold a general resume, transcripts, performance evaluations, copies of your work (designs, project outlines, writing samples such as technical reports, etc.)
- List of your targeted companies (this is where your research is beneficial)
- Pen and paper for making notes/collecting contact information
Introduction to Employers (elevator speech)
When approaching employers, be sure to have a focused introduction that not only provides your name and major but that also quickly summarizes your strengths, achievements and career interests as they relate to the company. This will not only help you in making a positive impression, but it will help the employer quickly determine how to best assist you.