If you have a lighter course load this summer, or are taking a break from classes, use this opportunity to advance your career and fit in some of the activities that get pushed aside during the busy fall and spring semesters.
Here are some suggestions of summer activities to strength your career decisions and boost your job search:
- Explore your options: Take this time to do the MyPlan assessment and research potential career fields. Log into Career Link to get the license code needed to take the assessments for free.
- Strengthen your resume: Is your resume up-to-date? Is it highlighting your skills the best way possible for the job you want? Make an appointment to have your resume reviewed by a career counselor. Appointments can be made via Career Link.
- Volunteer: Did you know employers consider relevant volunteer experience just as important as paid work experience? Use your time this summer to give back and get skills in your field. Volunteermatch.org is a great place to find opportunities.
- Network: Take this time to conduct informational interviews with professionals in your field.
- Update your online image: Make sure you have a LinkedIn profile and it’s updated. These tips can help you develop your profile and use LinkedIn to its fullest.